Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

House Rules

My book that I read this week was House Rules, by Jodi Picoult.



I will start with the fact, that I adore Jodi and all of her books. They are always so enrapturing! Seriously, the past 3 nights, Fabio has fallen asleep while I am still reading. --This never happens! I'm always the first one out cold!

To sum up the book, it follows the events surrounding a murder in a small Vermont town, focusing on an 18 year old boy named Jacob. Jacob has been coping the majority of his life with Asperger's Syndrome. The police come to talk to him about the death of his tutor, Jess, and in the following days, he is believed to be the murderer.

I'm not going to go into details, because like many of Picoult's books, the details of the book are what keep you reading like an addict.

I will say though, the dialogue of the book did make me physically and actually LOL several times. Jacob's literal translation of the world was just so funny! I also really enjoyed how this book focuses on the themes of family, healing, and coping with disabilities. I have a few family friends that are like my younger siblings, and the majority of this family has Asperger's. The entire time I was reading, I was comparing Jacob's antics to those of my friends.

One thing I didn't like, is the way that some information, and some stories are repeated from different  characters' perspectives. Besides that though?

I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars!

The only problem I have now? Which one should I read next?!?

I'm thinking either Salem Falls, Mercy or Lone Wolf???
Mercy

1 comment:

  1. I just read The Tenth Circle, my first Picoult novel. It was a little disturbing, but very compelling. I just ordered Salem Falls from my library, and would like to read Mercy, too!

    ReplyDelete